I watched the movie Hairspray last week, so I wanted to check about a possible Hairspray 2. Back in 2009 there's been some buzz about a potential sequel to the comedy movie Hairspray. Unfortunately it's been kind of quiet since then...
No sure Hairspray 2 is still on track. But I hope that Director Adam Shankman will find a way to develop the sequel, because from what I heard of the potential story of Hairspray 2 it could be yet another hit.
Here below a few plot details from a draft script of Hairspray 2 written by John Waters:
- the story will look at Tracy’s entering the late ’60s era of music, set against the backdrop of the Vietnam War and the British invasion. "We’re trying to track, in a comedic way, the historical elements," Shankman told EW
- Tracy (Nikki Blonsky) is hated because she’s now famous but doesn’t lose weight.
- Link (Zak Efron) gets a mop-top Beatles hairdo and tries to masquerade himself as a member of the British Invasion in an attempt to remain hip.
- Edna (John Travolta) gets hooked on diet pills, actually loses weight, but sees her husband (Christopher Walken) lusting after fat women. Shankman told MTV, "she finally breaks down and runs over to a snack table. Just within one number, she gets fat again; gaining 20 pounds at a time. Her fat pops out, and by the end of the song she’s completely at her old weight again."
- New Line/Warner Bros has yet to official announce any actors/actresses for the sequel, but they have said that they hope to keep most of the original cast.
Talking about the script, Director Adam Shankman was quoted as saying:
Well let's hope that they won't tame that script and that the movie Hairspray 2 will be a hell of a funny movie! If it ever get done that is...